Where an internal grievances unit has been set up within a Department, Authority or Entity, can a complaint be lodged with the Office of the Ombudsman?

If a complaint has been lodged with the internal grievance unit and complainant is still unsatisfied with the decision of the board, he may refer his grievance to this Office, attaching all relevant correspondence and documentation, including a copy of the said decision.

A complaint may also be lodged with this Office if a person is of the opinion that he or she were prejudiced as a result of the implementation of the decision taken by the grievances unit. These complaints will however only be investigated if the Ombudsman is satisfied that the complainant has sufficient personal intetest.